Encountering the O.T.
Bill T. Arnold and Bryan E. Beyer
This new edition of a bestselling evangelical survey of the Old Testament (over 180,000 copies sold) has been thoroughly updated and features a beautiful new interior design. It is lavishly illustrated with four-color images, maps, and charts and retains the pedagogical features that have made the book so popular:
· chapter outlines, objectives, and summaries
· study questions
· sidebars featuring primary source material, ethical and theological issues, and contemporary applications
· lists of key terms, people, and places
· further reading recommendations
· endnotes and indexes
The book is supplemented by web-based resources through Baker Academic’s Textbook eSources, offering course help for professors and study aids for students.
About the Author
Dr. Bryan Beyer grew up in a Christian home and gave his life to Christ at an early age. Around age 16, he sensed God’s call to church-related ministry. He graduated from Colorado State University (BA in Humanities), Denver Seminary (MDiv in Biblical Studies), and Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (Hebraic and Cognate Studies). From 1985-2021 he served at Columbia International University (SC) in a variety of roles (undergrad Bible faculty, dean of the college, dean of students, seminary Old Testament faculty, and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences). In 2021 he ceased full-time employment at CIU to focus more on teaching, writing, and taking groups to Israel.
Dr. Beyer has written extensively for LifeWay Christian Resources (www.lifeway.com) since 1991, writing Sunday School curriculum but also assisting both in the translation of the Christian Standard Bible (Jeremiah 29-49) and the CSB Study Bible (notes on 1-2 Samuel). Four of his more significant publications include:
• Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey (co-authored with Bill T. Arnold; Baker Academic, 3rd edition, 2015)
• Readings from the Ancient Near East: Primary Sources for Old Testament Study (co-edited with Bill T. Arnold; Baker Academic, 2002)
• Encountering the Book of Isaiah: A Historical and Theological Survey (Baker Academic, 2007)
• Scripture’s Grand Story Through the Old Testament (co-authored with Bill Jones; Wipf and Stock, 2022)
Dr. Beyer and his wife Yvonne have three adult children and five granddaughters. The Beyers enjoy time with family and in the outdoors.